Unlocking Hidden Heritage European Project
German Action -Tar-making
Dates: 28th June to 6th July 2008
Above: Tar-making festival in Dubener Heide
Derelict tar-kilns in the Dubener Heide Region
The action in Germany took place from the 27th June to the 7th July. It focused on researching the traditional tar-making industry of the Dubener Heide region and the impact this had on the landscape and character of the area. During the action, participants were involved in the restoration of a traditional tar-kiln. The programme will culminate in a tar-festival, attended by project volunteers and the local community.
Germany (27th June - 7th July 2008)
arrival day to Airport Leipzig, Berlin, Altenburg or Dresden are also possible
Accommodation is et Friedrichshütte a Country Hotel and Restaurant 2 km from Kossa. It is 45 km north from Leipzig and 130 south from Berlin. The Region is Dübener Heide State Sachsen. Adress: Friedrichshütte 04849 Kossa Germany Tel. 00493424372848. www.friedrichshuette.de
We have max. 12 rooms. So some participants may have to share a room.
Inspecting the site of the Pechhütte (historic tar production unit
from the 19th century)
29. June: Starting to remove the vegetation at the Pechhütte and visiting other interesting sites in Dübener Heide
30. June: Scaffolding will be delivered so we can assess the structure and begin work on the top of the kiln. Bricks from the top will have to be repaired/replaced and vegetation removed.
01. July: continuing with the restoration of the weak parts of the Building
02. July: Restoration
03. July: Day off to se Leipzig or other interesting things
04. July: Geomagnetic sorvey at the Castle in Eilenburg with was at first a slavic castle and from the 11 century a sachsen castel. Now most of it is gone and only 1 tower is still there. We also can see the Townemuseum Eilenburg and the historic cellars under the castle.
05. July: Preparing the Pechfest
06 July: Pechfest, festival with the village and an action to produce tare.
07 July: leaving day
In the afternoons we will have several options to go on a tour to se Wittenberg, the Slavic defence et Parker Schloß, town of Torgau, Bunkermuseum with is from the eastgerman army. Woodsculpturpath and the artist Wolfgang Köppe in Tornau, we can gow for a swim in a lake. Se the historic maize et Altjesnitz,. Castlemuseum Bad Düben and the Obermühle with is a watermill.
Reports from the Action in Germany
||Read the report by British participant Charlotte Marinos|
the report by Icelandic participant Arfleifðin afhjúpuð
Vinnusmiðja í Þýskalandi
Painting of Eilenburg Castle
Bildungshaus Heideland HVHS
Falkenberger Str. 3
Tel mobil 00491729882833 or office 00493424327241