Erasmus+ LogoDESIRE Germany map

PEATS Germany – Woodland Management at Dübener Heide Nature Park

This page will be updated with details for 2018 soon

Dates: 2018
Number of UK participants: 5 to include a minimum of 2 drivers 
Duration: 32 days

Dubener Heide Naturpark:

Bildungshaus Heideland are the host partner, which has been working in partnership with the Dubener Heide Naturpark (a non-government organisation). Together, they have hosted over 150 UK students enrolled on environmental placements funded by the EU since 2000. Peter Kaiser, the Education Officer of Bildungshaus Heideland , will supervise the UK environmental group for the 4-week placement during summer 2017. The Naturpark encompasses an area of 75,000 ha, with 54% forest and the remaining 46% of land used for agricultural purposes. The Naturpark has a relatively low population, but features some important wildlife habitats. About 90% of the Naturpark is protected landscape, with 20% of land designated for the protection of birds. Some of which exist in the Naturpark are rarely seen in Britain including the Red and Black Kite and Sandmartin. Other animals that can be seen in the area include Red deer, Wolf, Beaver and Crane.

There is a “Wood Festival” in the last weekend of July, so the group will be able to take part in this. The group will create a piece of artwork, competing but also working alongside local artists, and then positioning the artwork at a forest recreation site. The idea is to use sustainable natural products and make some sort of environmental statement or promotion.

The remainder of the content revolves around practical nature conservation in the Dübener Heide Naturpark, which can include heathland and forest management, working at a village arboretum, making interpretation boards and signs, working on school conservation projects and other such work. There will also be the possibility to work on a local Agenda 21 type project, using local and natural materials to build heritage reconstructions (Saxon houses, for example) to demonstrate sustainability. The common theme of the previous PETS placements will continue on in PEATS and includes developing practical environmental skills which can also improve and develop forest recreation projects. Suggestions so far include; maintenance of hiking and biking trails, creating forest trails and footpaths, building and developing countryside furniture, creating bird-hides with natural materials and more.

In previous placements, there has been a chance to visit Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig and Prague in neighbouring Czech Republic.

Accommodation: to be confirmed

The environmental group will be accommodated at Landgasthof (www.gasthof-pressel.de) in the village of Pressel, located within Dubener Heide Naturpark which has internet available.

Participants will stay in rooms (based on two people sharing) with bathroom facilities. Participants will receive three meals a day at the restaurant located in the hotel and should tell the reception/supervisor upon arrival about any special dietary requirements.

The village of Pressel is home to 600 inhabitants and facilities include a doctor’s surgery, two restaurants, a supermarket, a garage and a farm shop. This is also a youth centre in the village, which a good place to meet the locals. The nearest town Bad Duben is approximately 10km from Pressel or the city of Leipzig is located 40km away.

Transportation:

Throughout the four week placement, the group will work at different locations throughout the Naturpark and have access to a van, which can also be used during free weekends. Places of interest that the group may wish to visit independently on weekends include Dresden, Colditz, Berlin and Leipzig. Alternatively, there is also a regular bus service from Pressel to Bad Duben.

Excursions:

Sites of interest located within the Naturpark will be visited by the group. There are also the nearby historic towns of Torgau and Wittenberg (related to Martin Luther) to see. Upon arrival, participants will be given a map of the Naturpark, which illustrates places to interest that can be visited by pushbike (available to the group).

Funding:

The Erasmus + funding available for these placements will cover travel (return travel from main UK airport), insurance, subsistence allowance (equal to three meals a day) and accommodation.

If this placement interests you, then please read through the information on the PEATS environmental main page. You will find the application form is available to download on this page, as is the “Quality Commitment” which all applicants have to read

For past participant feedback, please refer to our Participants Reports page.

This project has been funded with support from the European Commission

This publication [communication] reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.